Renfrewshire Photos by West College Scotland students
Renfrewshire Photos: Photography Students from West College Scotland take to the streets to find and capture photos of their favourite buildings in Renfrewshire.
Renfrew Town Hall: This Category A-listed building was designed by James Jamieson Lamb and Baillie James Barr Lamb in the French Gothic style and cost £7,500. It was officially opened by on 17th October 1873, but following a serious fire on 6th March 1878, it was completely rebuilt in a very similar style but with a taller spire. Photo by Douglas Mackenzie (Instagram).
5 George Place, Paisley: A Category B-listed mid-Georgian townhouse. Photo by Alessandra Fais (Instagram). This building is currently being refurbished.
Meetinghouse Lane, Paisley: A steep cobblestone public footpath that runs down from Oakshaw to Moss Street and into the town centre. Photo by Ewelina Malek.
- Café 77 owner Scott McFarlane reflects on 1 year in business
- Kirstin Innes talks writing, activism, Renfrewshire and more
- Washington – The Sound of Renfrewshire
Paisley Abbey: The Abbey dates back to the 12th century and is recognised as the ‘Cradle of the Royal House of Stewart’ due to its ties to the family. Photo by Olivia Carlton.
Brown’s Lane, Paisley: Along this narrow cobbled street, you’ll find colourful murals by street artists Danny McDermott and Mark Worst which feature Paisley greats including Gerry Rafferty and Joe Egan of Stealers Wheel, Paolo Nutini, Ellen Farmer and the 1987 Scottish Cup-winning St Mirren squad. Photo by Natalia Aronowicz.
Forbes Place, Paisley: This three storey Category B-listed building was built around 1830. Photo by Avi Mendez.
John Neilson Institution, Paisley: Known locally as the Porridge Bowl, it was funded by Paisley grocer John Neilson for the education of orphaned and impoverished boys. Photo by Reiss McGuire.
Anchor One, Paisley: Commonly known as Anchor Mill, this former beacon of industry has been converted into flats and office space. The spectacular landmark is one of the most photographed buildings in Renfrewshire. Photo by Victoria Mitchell (Instagram).
Oakshaw Trinity Church, Paisley: This is the view looking up to the 161ft steeple of the church, built in 1754, from the cobblestone street of Church Hill. Photo by Lauren Mckinnon.
The Bascule Bridge, Renfrew: The only remaining rolling lift bridge in Scotland. Designed by Sir William Arrol, it was opened in 1923. His company, William Arrol & Co, built some of the most famous bridges in the United Kingdom, including the Forth Bridge and Tower Bridge. Photo by Fiona Murray.
Fountain Gardens, Paisley: This beautiful water feature can be found in Fountain Gardens which is Paisley’s oldest public garden. It is one of only three Category A-listed fountains in Scotland. Photo by Gary Higgins.
Mile End Mill, Paisley: Although it may be part of Abbey Mill Business Centre today, this building holds Grade A national importance. It was designed by W. J. Morley, as was the 242 feet tall octagonal, free standing chimney stack – a visible landmark across the town. Photo by Natalia Padlo.
Malatso Café, Paisley: This popular High Street café utilises the ground floor of a Category C-listed building designed by architect James Steel Maitland which dates back to 1934. Photo by Kiera Burns.
Thank you to all the brilliant students at West College Scotland who contributed to our Renfrewshire Photos feature.